EXCELLENT TOUR GUIDE/DRIVER IN SIEM REAP, CAMBODIA
Mr. John Teng is owner and operator of ANGKOR DAILY TRAVEL located in Siem Reap, Cambodia, the Gateway to Angkor. Myself and my associates are here to make your trip to Angkor an unforgettable and amazing experience. Our experience of many years of providing the best in customer service is coupled with your desire to develop your tour itinerary if you are familiar with Angkor and if not, but you are drawn to see this fabulous travel destination, put yourself in our capable hands and we will provide an experience unlike any you have ever known.
ANGKOR DAILY TRAVEL is a local Siem Reap based team of dedicated, professional and licensed guides and drivers whose primary goal is combining education and entertainment to provide the most memorable experience possible, delivering it in the highest degree of comfort possible.
ANGKOR DAILY TRAVEL has consistently been rated one of the best local tour operators in Siem Reap for the last six years. We are quite proud of our superior service and attention to detail which makes us unique.
TYPE OF TRANSPORTS ARE USED DURING THE TRIP:
Mr. JOHN'S SAMPLE TOURS FOR 4 -DAY VISITS:
- AM: Angkor Thom: South gate of Angkor Thom (visiting the four giant faces of the gate), Central Angkor Thom (Bayon, Baphuon, Phimeanakas, Terrace of the Elephants, Terrace of the Leper King), Victory gate, Thommanon, Spean Thmar, Ta Keo (short visit), Ta Prohm (known as the jungle temple - famous for the trees growing from the temple walls), lunch at a restaurant in front of Angkor Wat.
- PM: Angkor Wat (the centerpiece of any visit is the temple of Angkor), sunset at Phnom Bakheng.
- AM: Banteay Srei temple (beautiful and intimate 10th century temple built of pink sandstone), Banteay Samre, East Mebon, Ta Som and Neak Pean temple and lunch.
- PM: Preah Khan (an extensive 56-hectare Buddhist complex where King Jayavarman VII finally defeated the Chams and the Cham king was killed there) and sunset at Angkor Wat or at Phnom Bakheng. Traditional dance show in the evening.
- AM: Roluos group , there are three main temples like Preah Ko, Bakong and Lolei temples ( the first major capital of Angkorian era Khmer Empire ), lunch in town.
- PM: Landmine Museum, Les Artisans D' Angkor-Chantiers Ecoles to see craftsmen and apprentices producing wood and stone carvings, Wat Thmei (local Killing Field memorial), and the view of the Tonle Sap lake (the largest freshwater lake in Southeast Asia, cyclically swelling from 2,500 square kilometers to more than 12,000 square kilometers in the wet season and you can visit the floating fishing villages and a boat trip is available).
DAY 4: ( Full day adventure ).
- Beng Mealea temple was built in the 12th century, the layout and style of Beng Mealea is very similar to Angkor Wat. Its current state, however, is dominated by jungle. Trees have grown out of the towers and vines entangle columns. Lintels and others building blocks lay around in a tumble and require visitors to climb up and down as they approach the completely collapsed central towers. This is how the early expeditions must have found the temples of Angkor....
- Koh Ker ( After the Khmer empire had been established in the Angkor area (Roluos), Jayavarman IV moved the capital in 928 almost 100km northeast to Koh Ker. Here a vast number of temples were built under his reign, until his successor returned to the Angkor area about twenty years later. The Koh Ker site is dominated by Prasat Thom, a 35 meter tall temple mountain raising high above the plain and the surrounding forest. Great views await the visitor at the end of an adventurous climb.
The above schedules can be altered to suit any specific requests.
DAY RATES FOR TAXI:
- Angkor Archaeological Park:
- Car costs US$ 30/day
- Van costs US$ 35/day
- Tour guide costs US$ 30/day
- Private taxi Siem Reap-Phnom Penh-Siem Reap costs USD 70/way.
Mr. John can make hotel reservations and provide airport pick-up & drop off. With Mr. John your stay in Siem Reap, Cambodia will be safe and comfortable. I wish you a pleasant journey throughout the Siem Reap Angkor, Cambodia. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
For driver services in Phnom Penh please contact Ben Wee at www.phnompenhtaxi.com
OTHER TEMPLES, SIGHTS, AND ACTIVITIES:
- Preah Vihear temple (UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE CENTER). For all the grandeur of its site, pearched on the edge of a giant cliff and with a commanding view over northern Cambodia, Preah Vihear is difficult to visualize as a whole. The experience is truly a memorable one – the series of ascents over the best part of a kilometer, the ornate Gopuras and the wealth of decorative detail truly staggers one’s imagination.
- Khmer Rough Historical site at Anlong Veng is the former of the Khmer Rough stronghold where you could visit Pol Pot’s tomb, Ta Mok’s tomb and the military headquarter.
- Koh Ker complex is located northeast of Siem Reap, represents the remnant of the capital of the Khmer Empire from 928 A.D - 944 A.D. A very unique period in the Age of Angkor.
- Banteary Chmar temple will some be listed as a World Heritage site.. It is a largely unrestored temple. Located in Banteay Meanchey province near the Thai border.
- Beng Mealea temple (sprawling jungle temple covering over one square kilometer).
- Kbal Spean (literally means 'The Head of the River' this is the River of 1000 Lingas).
- Phnom Kulen (waterfall and active pagoda on top of the mountain).
- Phnom Penh is the capital of Cambodia.
- We recently visited Siem Reap and Phnom Penh , Cambodia . We would highly recommend the tourist services of John Teng who is an officially licensed tour guide for the Angkor sites in Siem Reap. John can also arrange many services to help tourists including clean, modern, comfortable air conditioned cars or buses with an experienced driver. You will find John is well trained and has so much knowledge about this area. What makes him very special compared to other guides is that he loves people and his keenness to share his knowledge makes everything he says exciting, interesting and come to life.
Tours with John are special. He will arrange visits to sites to avoid the large crowds as best as possible. He will take you on his own private little side "short cuts" to avoid crowds. He knows the people in this area and it was not uncommon for us to be getting special treatment that John had arranged. Whether it was using a private toilet, getting front row seats in a show, personally meeting John's friend at the Hotel we were staying at who just happened to be the Manager, making sure we had a good room in the hotel or eating at the best restaurants. John seemed to know everyone and they were pleased to be his friends. This tells you a lot about a person and they all spoke highly of John as a good person.
Having good photographs is a great memory of a holiday. John has had some informal training in photography and is eager to take lots of photos for you using his experience to get that special shot. He will voluntarily give advice on how and where to take the best camera shots. Kindness and caring come naturally for John. We had a problem caused by another tour guide in our next destination in Phnom Penh . At very short notice John sorted out this problem in his lunch break. Whilst we were eating lunch and resting, John was busy on the phone networking his contacts and had the problem sorted by the end of the day. I still am amazed how he did it but we were very grateful. He turned a negative problem into a positive solution. Honesty is a quality that makes tourists feel safe. John was consistently ensuring we had the correct knowledge about upcoming encounters with "tourist hotspots".
Even though John has to live in this community he will warn you quietly beforehand how to handle those awkward situations with beggars, street hawkers, etc. On one occasion we gave John money so he purchased a local item on our behalf and then gave it to us once we were out of sight of the vendor. Just remember that John lives in this community and I suggest you be discreet when John gives you this help so he is not put in an embarrassing situation.
Your safety is John's top concern. The sites of Angkor can be dangerous and we saw several people who had accidents by doing foolish things. John consistently warns you of imminent dangers and takes every precaution to make sure you come to no harm. Please contact me on my email at email@example.com should you wish to verify any information on how John Teng can make your trip to Siem Reap wonderful. Warren and Sheena Smith Sydney , Australia
- My family of 11 visited Siem Reap for 4 days from 29 May to 1 June. Before the trip, I searched the internet for reviews on hotels and local tour guides. We sent out emails to 3 tour guides, of which 2 replied. We finally decided on engaging the services of John Teng even though the other guide who replied to our enquiry showed a better command of the English language (not to say that John's English is no good , he speaks very decently good English we all understood him crystal clear!). This is because John also emailed us a recommended itinerary based on the duration of our stay and he came across as very sincere. True enough, he was not only sincere and earnest in his service, we also find him very honest, patient and attentive to our needs (we are travelling with 8 elderly and 3 young children). We enjoyed ourselves tremendously while in Siem Reap, and we must say a large part was due to John's very approachable, friendly and accommodating personality. He has great knowledge of the places/temples that he brought us to and gave us good recommendations on restaurants with good food and reasonable prices. Through the conversations, we also know that he is proud of his country and its heritage. If you are visiting Siem Reap, don't forget to email John Teng to engage his services because we are one group of very satisfied customers. J Joyce Woon, Singapore
John Teng is an incredible resource and a very trust worthy individual. I use him a lot as a cultural broker and will be working with him on a grant through the University of Washington in collaborations with Angkor Hospital for Children. He'll look out for you, make sure you are safe and make suggestions to keep you safe. I can't recommend him enough. He even helped take care of me when I got really sick. He's a very thoughtful, honest young man. I would recommend him highly, plus, of course, he knows the culture, area and history so well. Hope that helps. Please feel free to contact me again if you have further questions. You're really going to enjoy Siem Reap and Angkor Wat - K.B. USA.
- We were fortunate enough to find a recommendation for John Teng's tour guide services and booked him for 3 days before leaving home. We were traveling for 4 weeks in SE Asia and the days we spent in Siem Reap stand out as our favorite. We attribute much of this to John and his amazing service. John is a thoughtful, articulate, knowledgeable guide. John's English is excellent and his knowledge of the temples, carvings and Khmer history is impressive. We were worried the crowds would be overwhelming at the temples as we were traveling during busy season, however John always knew where the crowds would be the worst at certain times - and we were able to avoid most of them. John was also very good at moving us through a temple, taking time to talk about history or the details of the carvings in the quieter areas and moving past the big bus groups more quickly. We have many photos where it looks like we are the only people at a temple. We feel like we got so much more out of the experience with John as our guide compared to trying to figure things out on our own or follow the herd in a group. We especially appreciated John's pride and love of the Khmer people - they are amazing, resilient, and beautiful people . Misty & Jason Johnson, Canada
- September 2010. John Teng made for my 3 traveling companions and I the journey through this marvelous land of temples, history and culture an experience much more than any of the guides we were armed with or the interweb could ever have done. A gentle person, trustworthy, polite, and a veritable encyclopedia of information of his country, John is very easy to be comfortable with, more like a friend and certainly aims to please. In his charge of ferrying us around in the days we spent touring on what can be best described as a dynamic schedule, his insight into the ways of the khmer people and the history of his land had a genuine desire to want to show to us the beauty that is more than just ancient history locked into stone on display. As our driver, part guide, part interpreter and in the days we spent there, in retrospect, also our traveling companion, John made our visit there a very memorable and pleasant one. There were not the four of us on this journey, but five. Dr.Amarjit Singh, Malaysia
- The four of us spend 4 days in Cambodia and it was a wonderful experience made possible by our guide, John and our driver Tee. We found John's contact via travelasia.com and I wrote to a few tour agencies in Siem Reap for comparisons. Somehow the reply from John made a deep impression on us (my sister and I) and we did not hesitate to engage John's services when we arrived in Cambodia. These was all arranged via email communication. When we arrived at the Siem Reap airport, there was John waiting for us with umbrellas as it was raining. We started the tour right after a great lunch at a restaurant recommended by John.
He made the next few days great for us as he is a very enthusiatic guide and we can all sense that he is very proud of his country. He lose no time in explaining in depth details of the temples we visited and also the whole history of Cambodia on our way to these temples. As my husband is a photographer, he was very happy that John has great experience on where are the good angles and locations to take fantastic pictures for us to bring back for memories (we manage to take over 500 shots!)
John not only took care most of the itinerary for us and was gracious enough to accommodate us with our request for local food and good local coffee. And his suggestions are superb and the best thing was it was priced very reasonably. Not a moment is dull as John always have jokes and information of his country to tell us. Angie, Malaysia
- My wife and I were fortunate enough to find ourselves within one of the most beautiful places in of one of the most beautiful countries in the world: Siem Reap, Cambodia.
It's a true saying that if you intend to visit the temples and get around in Siem Reap you will require a driver. We had the foresight to look around well in advance of our trip to see who and what kind of transport was available during our 3 night stay. Mr John Teng was selected by us based on previous testimonials we had read on his advertisement within the "Tales of Asia" website. I guess it's only fair that we update these testimonials with our own as we found Mr. John to be even more outstanding in every respect than either of us could have hoped for. Mr John is every inch the understated Cambodian gentleman, polite, well spoken, honest, punctual and highly knowledgeable about the people and surrounding areas. John not only acted as our driver during our time spent in Siem Reap but also our guide, interpreter and someone who was able to provide a wealth of historical and political knowledge and recent information about the area as he took us places we would have never have seen otherwise. The most beautiful small temples and the real people and places to visit within Siem Reap would have gone undiscovered for us if it had not been for Mr John.
We would wholeheartedly encourage any English speaking visitors to engage Mr. John prior to arriving in town for the fullest most rewarding experience available. We will be returning to Siem Reap in the future and will most definitely be using Mr. John's services again. We wish him and his family well !!!. Fraser & Anne Glendinning, Scotland.
- John made my visit to Cambodia a very nice and interesting one. He is very honest, kind and very knowledgeable of the history and places we visited. His English is very good so he can perfectly be both your driver and tour guide. You won't be disappointed. I will definitely recommend him to anyone who wants to see a brighter side of Cambodia. - M.M., USA
- I spent three days in Siem Reap. During this time John worked as my driver. He knows a lot about the city and about the people of Cambodia. He is an honorable man who you can trust and will give you a good insight of the country and their traditions. He took me to the temples and gave me also good explanations about the Khmer civilization. I really enjoyed my time here in this place and John did an excellent job! I wish him a lot of success in his plan of becoming a professional English tour guide. I would definitely hire him again in my next visit!!!! - A.G., USA
- John Teng served as my driver and guide in and around Siem Reap for 5+ days. John was very helpful, knowledgeable, and courteous and is extremely honest. I would recommend him to any English-speaking tourists as a driver and guide. His expertise and kindness were invaluable in making my visit to Angkor Wat and the other Khmer temples as well as the local countryside enjoyable and interesting. If I come back to Cambodia I would be happy to have John as my driver and guide.- K.H., USA
return to Cambodia
text and photographs © 1998 - 2011 talesofasia.com. Commercial or editorial
usage without written permission of the copyright holder is prohibited.